Here’s a great hybrid resume sample for a position as a maintenance supervisor. This job seeker combines the strengths of the chronological and functional resume formats into one robust resume that will make any hiring person sit up and take notice. Let’s see how he does it!
About this Resume Sample
Robert (not his real name) has worked at the Super Stop Lounge for the past few years. In his job, he has performed the maintenance and repairs himself, and he has built a strong team. He is now looking for a higher level job, where he will manage others and will also have more input into running the business. How does his resume help him to achieve this goal?
- By choosing the hybrid format, Robert can divide his duties and achievements at Super Stop Lounge into two skill sets: Management and Maintenance. He lists the Management section first, since that is more the type of role he is going for next.
- In that first section, he describes what he has done to run the business smoothly. He includes numbers where it will help the reader to grasp the extent of Robert’s role.
- In the Maintenance section, he provides statements that contain sub-points that give more detail about what kinds of projects he has done and the systems he has repaired.
- Prior to working at Super Stop Lounge, Robert remodeled and restored his own home. He adds strength to his resume by telling us the details of what he did, and what the results were, using numbers to further “nail down” his story.
- For each of his jobs, he includes a brief statement that gives the reader a sense of the scope of work that Robert has done.
- At the top of his resume, the last statement in the Highlights section says “Never missed work due to illness in over 10 years.” This is a strong statement of Robert’s good health and his total commitment to his job, something any hiring person would like to see!
- In the Education section, he lists the schools where he studied, and, by saying “3 years” of coursework, he shows the reader that he was fairly close to getting a degree, before he had to start working to take care of his family.
- What else can you find in Robert’s resume that shows he can do the job?
Here is Robert’s Resume Sample
More Resume Help
If you like to pick up a book to learn the ins and outs of how to do something — like write a resume — we have the book for you: The Damn Good Resume Guide, Fifth Edition by Yana Parker and Beth Brown. As its subtitle says, it’s a crash course in resume writing. With 10 easy-to-follow steps, it gets you from a blank page to a finished professional resume in the shortest time possible. In fact, the resume sample on this page is the result of the resume writing advice from The Damn Good Resume Guide.
You can find the book for sale online or in your local bookstore. Also check your local library.