In this functional resume sample for a position as an Electronics Engineering Technician, the job seeker is going for a career change. Let’s see how it provides the reader with a strong case for getting the job he wants in this new career.
About this Resume Sample
In this resume, John (not his real name) uses the functional format to bring out the skills he has gained more than ten years ago, while he was in the Army, as well as more recent skills he developed in the hospitality industry. What else about John’s resume makes a strong case for his shifting to his new career goal?
- His Objective statement is longer than other similar resumes. In it, John is very clear about what his ideal job might involve. By being so direct, the reader can picture him in that type of role.
- He uses the Highlights of Qualifications section to mention his training – this includes the more recent coursework he has completed at Heald College, and the training he received in the US Army Signal Corps. This tells the reader right at the top of the resume, that John is keeping up with changes in this field. He is ready to use the skills he learned years ago, and to apply them to a new field and a new job!
- John calls the next section Relevant Skills & Experience. By doing so, he shows us what he thinks it takes to be a great team member: Technical knowledge, the ability to research and solve problems, and treating customers with respect.
- In his achievement statements, he repeats his coursework and training to stress the fact that he has gained the knowledge needed to know and do the job well.
- He also helps the reader to see how his recent job as a waiter has value for the new role he seeks — that he is good at dealing with people, helping customers, and giving great service.
- In some of his statements, John describes work he has done at different jobs; in other statements, he lists the work he has done on his own time. This shows how much he enjoys doing this type of work!
- He also uses bold type to highlight some key words and phrases that he feels are key to doing his target job.
- In the Employment History section, John tells us of the work he did as a consultant to the restaurant management, for part of the time that he also worked as a waiter. This shows John’s skill in problem-solving and the trust that he inspires in his employers.
Now take another good look at John’s resume!
Resume Sample for an Electronics Engineering Technician
Need a Good Resume Template for YOUR Resume?
Looking for a good resume template for your job search? We suggest Ready-Made Resume Builder! This online resume builder has about 150 resume templates, as well as lots of cover letter templates. It guides you step by step to find the best resume format and letter template for your situation. Almost like having a resume pro at your elbow!