This resume sample for a position as a Cook is a very clear chronological resume that quickly shows the job seeker’s skills and experience. Let’s take a closer look at this straightforward resume.
About This Resume Sample
In one quick glance, it is easy to see that Alice (not her real name) has been a trusted cook and housekeeper for many years. What does she do to show this?
- Alice’s one-page resume is very clear and easy to read, with plenty of white space between sections of the resume and between each of her jobs.
- Listing the years of employment by themselves on the side of the resume easily shows the next employer that Alice has been doing this type of work for more than 15 years, and that she doesn’t job hop.
- Her statements are brief and to the point, but they also give enough detail of the kinds of food she has prepared, so that the reader can picture her doing these duties in the future; that is, at her next job!
- Even though Alice did many of the same things at each job, she describes her duties in a slightly different way, to keep the resume fresh and not boring!
- Although she was also the housekeeper, Alice does not say much about that part of her job. This makes it clear that her first goal is to be a cook, but she can also do housekeeping if that is required to get her next job.
- Alice gives us the name or names of the people she has worked for. This shows that her experience in working for individuals and families is what she is strongest in, and what she wants to keep doing.
Let’s see what else we can find in Alice’s sample resume.
Resume Sample for a Cook
More Resume Help
Want to read a book with a step-by-step guide and lots of examples for writing a great resume? Check out The Damn Good Resume Guide by Yana Parker and Beth Brown. You’ll find lots of tips for filling spans of unemployment, listing short-term jobs, handling dates to avoid age discrimination, and more. Check it out from your public library or buy a copy for your home library.