| || |
How to Uncover Your Skills And Special Talents ©
Taken from Yana Parker's
Resume Workbook: For High School Students
a Fill-in-the-Blanks Guide
A Self-Help Quiz for
High School Students
Tip for school career counselors
This self-help quiz can help you learn to identify your marketable skills, talents and personal traits--and recognize accomplishments you didn't notice before. Later, on your own or with your counselor's help, you can explore how these identified skills and assets apply to your RESUME and to your JOB SEARCH.
NOW ... Ask yourself these questions:
- 1. Good friends count on each other for lots of things. What do YOUR friends count on YOU for?
- 2. What do you do for your PARENTS or guardians to help them out when you have time?
- 3. IF one of your friends at school were to BRAG about you, what would they say?
- 4. IF YOU felt totally comfortable bragging about yourself, what would YOU brag about? What are you most PROUD of?
- 5. What GOOD QUALITIES did you inherit from your family?
- 6. What COURAGEOUS things have you done that you feel good about?
- 7. What DIFFICULTIES or barriers have you overcome, to get where you are now?
- 8. What CREATIVE things have you done that you feel good about?
- 9. Describe something you DESIGNED, CREATED, built, made, or fixed up, that gave you a strong sense of satisfaction. Tell why you feel good about it.
- 10. Which subjects are you best at in school? Why do you like those courses?
- 11. What PRAISE or acknowledgment have you gotten from your teachers?
- 12. What do you KNOW so well--or DO so well--that you could teach it to others? What's the main TIP you'd tell people about how to do it SUPERBLY?
- 13. Name about TEN QUALITIES or characteristics of OTHER people, that you most respect or admire.
- 14. Think of a PROBLEM that came up that had other people stumped, but that YOU were able to do something about, to improve the situation. What did YOU do? What does that say about you?
- 15. If you suddenly disappeared for 3 months (say the US government sent you on a SPY MISSION!) what would your friends and family MISS most about you? How would their lives be more difficult, less fun, if you weren't there to help?
- 16. Which of the qualities you named in question #13 above are also true about YOU? For each of those qualities, tell what you DO that gives people the impression that you have that quality.
- (If you think of a good question we should add to this list, send it to [email protected]. THANK YOU.)
Tip for School Career Counselors:
You can transform this list of self-help questions into a group exercise for 6-8 students.
|Group Exercise Instructions: |
1. One student in the group volunteers to play "Job-Hunter."
TIP: If YOU, as a member of the Group, think you have no special accomplishments, you're a GOOD candidate to volunteer as "Job-Hunter!"
2. The other 5-7 students will play "Interviewers."
3. "Interviewers" take turns asking the "Job Hunter" any of the questions shown and/or additional questions that work to draw out the "Job-Hunter." "Interviewers" do whatever it takes to bring out the fullest, "juiciest" answers from the person playing "Job-Hunter."
TIP: Keep track of WHAT QUESTIONS MIGHT APPLY TO YOU, TOO!
4. After 10-15 minutes, another student volunteers to be "Job Hunter" and is similarly questioned by all the student "Interviewers."
5. Continue until you run out of time or the group has interviewed ALL the students.
LATER all the students can explore, with their counselor's help, how these skills and assets apply to their RESUME and to their job search.